Weight Lifters Gain More Muscle on Milk
Weight lifters found to gain more muscle and lose more fat on milk than protein drink.
- Researchers at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada, looked at three matched groups of men weightlifters.
- Workouts were a rigorous, 5 days per week, and lasted for 12 weeks.
- Each group was given an immediate post-workout 2-cup drink and two cups more were consumed 1 hour after end of workout, of one of these:
- Skim milk
- Soy beverage (same energy and protein as skim milk)
- Carbohydrate sports drink (same energy as skim milk)
- Milk drinkers gained 40% and 63% more muscle than either soy or sports drink drinkers.
- Milk drinkers lost nearly twice as much weight (2.0 pounds) as sports drink drinkers (1.0 pound) and soy drinkers lost no weight(0 pounds).
Complete published study information is available at Journal of Clinical Nutrition. August 2007;86:373-381